The use of Phenylalanine is useful in the nutrition for recovering meth addicts by restoring the brain chemicals Norepinephrine and Dopamine.
These amino acids can counteract the symptoms of depression, low energy, lack of focus and concentration. The expected behavior changes when restoring these depleted amino acids are: anti-craving, anti-depression, increased energy and improved mental focus for the recovering meth addict.
To increase the effects of amino-acid nutritional therapy with Phenylalanine for a recovering met addict, the use of a multi-vitamin/mineral formula is recommended. Many vitamins and minerals serve as co-factors in repairing neurotransmitters. They also serve to restore general balance, vitality and well-being to a recovering meth addict who typically is in a state of poor nutritional health.
Vegetables highest in Phenylalanine for meth recovery:
- Seaweed, spirulina, raw Phenylalanine: 2200mg
- Watercress, raw Phenylalanine: 2073mg
- Seaweed, spirulina, dried Phenylalanine: 1915mg
- Pumpkin leaves, raw Phenylalanine: 1800mg
- Seaweed, laver, raw Phenylalanine: 1560mg
- Horseradish-tree leafy tips, raw Phenylalanine: 1522mg
- Beans, kidney, mature seeds, sprouted, cooked, boiled, drained, Phenylalanine: 1473mg
- Beans, kidney, mature seeds, sprouted, raw Phenylalanine: 1462mg
- Spinach, frozen, chopped or leaf, unprepared Phenylalanine: 1428mg
- Turnip greens, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, Phenylalanine: 1421mg
- Pumpkin leaves, cooked, boiled, drained, Phenylalanine: 1409mg
- Turnip greens, frozen, unprepared Phenylalanine: 1382mg
- Swamp cabbage, (skunk cabbage), raw Phenylalanine: 1337mg
- Jute, potherb, raw Phenylalanine: 1247mg
- Spinach, frozen, chopped or leaf, cooked, boiled, drained, Phenylalanine: 1241mg
- Turnip greens, canned, solids and liquids Phenylalanine: 1186mg
- Spinach, cooked, boiled, drained, Phenylalanine: 1165mg
- Broccoli raab, raw [Broccoli rabe, Rapini] Phenylalanine: 1164mg
- Chard, swiss, raw Phenylalanine: 1158mg
- Amaranth leaves, raw Phenylalanine: 1157mg
- Turnip greens and turnips, frozen, unprepared Phenylalanine: 1152mg
- Chard, swiss, cooked, boiled, drained, Phenylalanine: 1140mg
- Spinach, raw Phenylalanine: 1121mg
- Spinach, canned, drained solids Phenylalanine: 1104mg
Recipe for foods containing Phenylalanine for meth recovery:
Bay Scallops with Spinach
2 lbs of fresh spinach, stemmed and washed, not dried.
1 lb of bay scallops.
3 large cloves of garlic, peeled.
¼ cup of chicken stock
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
2 teaspoons of olive oil.
2 teaspoons of salt.
1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest.
Freshly ground pepper, to taste.
Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook for 20 seconds, stirring continuously.
Add the spinach and toss occasionally until wilted.
Drain off the liquid and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the scallops and sauté for 1 minute or until just cooked through.
Remove the scallops from the pan and add the lemon juice and stock.
Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, for 15 seconds.
Remove from the heat, then toss in the scallops and season with the remaining salt and pepper to taste.
On serving plates, place a mound of spinach in the middle and surround with scallops.
Some recovering meth addicts may decide to work directly with a nutritionist. The American Dietetic Association (ADA) web site can help you locate a nutritionist for your area.
Lists of more foods high in Phenylalanine for the proper nutrition for the recovering meth addict will be examined in later parts of this series.