Nutritional studies recommended that people in recoveryfrom meth eat on "cruise control" throughout the day. This means eating small, frequent mini-meals--to maintain energy levels and moods more even.
Suggestions for a Diet that Promotes Meth Recovery:
1. Use the USDA's Food Guide Pyramid as a guide to prepare well-balanced meals
2. Eat 3 snacks and 3 meals per day
3. Drink decaffeinated coffee and herbal teas to decrease caffeine
4. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
5. Eat foods made of whole grains
6. Eat more beans and grain products; limit the amount of red meat eaten. Red meats are harder to digest.
7. Eliminate or keep to a minimum foods that contain sugar and caffeine
8. Be aware of hidden sugar in cocoa, condiments, and over the counter medications
9. Be aware of caffeine in over the counter and prescribed medications
USDA's My Food Guide Pyramid Brochure can be found here in PDF format for download or visit the US Dept. Of Agriculture for more nutrition info.
Suggested Recovery-friendly Diet:
• Protein - 25%
• Carbohydrate - 45%
• Fat - 30%
• Total calories - 2,000
Sample Meal Suggestions:
• Breakfast - oatmeal muffins, pancakes, quiche, omelet, yogurt
• Lunch - Sandwiches, salads, soups
• Dinner - Soups, chowders, rice & beans, chicken and vegetables, tortillas, lasagna with vegetable
• Dessert - Yogurt, fruit
During recovery from substance abuse, dehydration is common and it is important to emphasize adequate intake of fluids during and in between meals. Appetite usually returns during recovery, which may cause a tendency to overeat, particularly for people who were taking stimulants. At the beginning of recovery weight should really not be a source of worry for most recovering addicts and weight issues may have contributed to the addiction in the first place. The person should be instructed to consume healthy meals and snacks and to avoid high-calorie foods with low nutritional value, if possible.If there is an accompanying eating disorder, this Must be addressed with a qualified professional.
Be sure to talk to your doctor or dietitian for specifics for your situation and condition. Recovering meth addicts will have different needs depending on their situation. The suggestions here are just a guideline and nutrition for the recovering meth addict should ultimately fall into the hands of a well qualified professional.